Thursday, January 29, 2009

We Are Awash in this High Tide

Behind the coattails of our poorly executed Gettysburg Campaign, the defeat of Pemberton at Vicksburg only heightens our sense of the rising tide. I would imagine that our britches are thoroughly soaked with the brackish waters of defeat. Now that the Union has captured the advantageous Mississippi, our logistics are severely threatened. After several misshapen commanders, it seems that the Union has found hope in the more capable Grant. To force surrender from the hard-pressed Pemberton is no easy task, especially in culmination with the defense of his supply lines in the face of enemy territory. Although I am more than confidant in General Lee, I must be prudent when I examine his behavior of late. It is with this in mind that I hope to transfer to the Western Theater where my talents can be truly tested.

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=n24-UIO3TuUC&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=james+longstreet+transfer+western+theater&ots=xYvfBF0Q37&sig=4CHzKnNU6eMeTj6MQlbiwmUJmhQ

1 comment:

  1. Yes, General Grant is a very good and capable general. He brought victory within reach. Though we are at opposite ends of this battle, we shall at one point be united under one banner, Longstreet. I pray that your general makes the right choice to surrender before any more unnecessary blood is shed.

    ReplyDelete