Tuesday, January 13, 2009

We Near the Edge

Though we still call ourselves these United States, events further push us into a corner where compromise becomes an impossibility. Today, it is the election of Abraham Lincoln as our Commander in Chief that sets my mind ill at ease. While I doubt not the quality of leadership, it is the potential of this circumstance to become a catalyst for an undesirable result which unsettles me the most. Only the completely ignorant can be unaware of the schism along the Mason-Dixon Line where one (the North) strives to strike the slavery institution from that which tries to protect their right to claim this economic resolve as their own (the South). With the appointment of such a Northern sympathizer, reconciliation is all but a childish dream. I myself find my loyalties lying with my upbringing. For eight years my uncle Augustus, both plantation owner and newspaper editor by trade, instilled the ideal of each state having its own right to self-governance without interference from the federal government. I fear that such a bold stroke may be Lincoln's ultimate goal while he resides in that national body. While I hope no unprecedented action takes place, it is clear for whom I hail to.

No comments:

Post a Comment