Monday, January 26, 2009

Revelation of Roots

Freedom, our so cherished ideal. It seems near ironic that an Emancipation Proclamation is needed to validate what is already ringing in the hearts of so many. Now, it seems our Confederacy has become true and clear in this war, it is a war of enslavement. It no longer seems that we fight fully for the right of states, but the institution of slavery which so drives the Dixie machine.
I feel an inkling of regret for this movement. Though nothing close to considering abandoning my charge, I cannot help but think that my justification has been chipped, if not cracked. Oh how Uncle Augustus used to drive me mad with diatribes of each state and their ultimate loyalty only to themselves. These feelings have left more than a crevice in my heart in which they take residence, urging me onwards for their protection. It is our right to have slavery, no? The right of every slave state to maintain their livelihood, peoples, and institutions must be protected. For this, I will carry on.

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=lj4sxnqyge8C&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=james+longstreet+freedom&ots=8corXo6n1B&sig=_kqSfSaq4TfB1wByvGxiRw_n_C8

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=TTgOAAAAIAAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA13&dq=james+longstreet+early+life&ots=zhYLg4LZ_d&sig=trrS_MU6qugM8e_JgzfXxIISfcU

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Longstreet, slavery has been a necessity in the South for many years, but now, the country can prosper without the need for slave labor.

    I think it is long since been time for these people to be given their freedom.

    Please, think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you cherish freedom and champion slavery in the same breath? Mr. Longstreet, I do not mean to be rude, but I have not yet seen a way to equate freedom and slavery, and I challenge you to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but there seems that my thoughts and revelations have caused confusion. Initially, my desire to defend my Confederacy stemmed from the belief of state's rights to institute slavery if it is their wish to do so. In this sense, I believe states make the ultimate decision, regardless of what the federal government may "regulate".

    ReplyDelete